Saturday, March 8, 2008

Jetlag

I always wondered what people were talking about when they said they had "jetlag." I mean, I knew what the term meant, but I had never truly experienced it. Until today...

When I was seventeen, I traveled to Europe. Sure, it was a long, arduous journey on a flight to Frankfurt, but I handled it fairly well. I don't remember doing anything special, so maybe I was just lucky. I was a little sleepy the first day, but after that, things were a go for the new time zone.

Well, things must have changed in the last eight years...(dang that change thing!) I got off the plane this morning after almost 24 hours of traveling and my body said, "Hey, it's 8:00 at night...this sun thing shouldn't be up...you shouldn't be eating breakfast." And yet, eat breakfast I did. And spend the entire day soaking up the sights and smells and sounds and family time...I sure did it all. I don't regret it in the slightest.

I do regret the fact that my body is ready to be at work at this current juncture. Or at the very least, waking up to a usually productive Saturday morning at my house. Sleep sounds soooooo good right now, though. Oh bliss. Only an hour more until I can put myself to bed....my sister has been catching me after dinner almost asleep on Jameson's bed or on the couch before we went fabric shopping. It's good that I have her here, already time-adjusted, so that she can help me as I become accustomed to it all.

The one thing I didn't realize about jetlag before is that it's an actual LAG. Currently, my brain feels about three seconds behind my body. When I walk, it's like my brain is swimming, but not fast enough to keep up. Feels like I've been on a cruise ship and I'll be needing time to get my land legs again. Laura says it goes away after about a week...I'm crossing my fingers for faster!

1 Comments:

Blogger Devony said...

I think jetlag affects us more as we get older. I flew to Europe at age 17 also and never had a single problem, while my 70-something year old grandma slept for like 12 hours straight after we got there. So glad you are in UAE and safe though!

March 15, 2008 at 9:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home