Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The bed...and the hilarity that ensued

I did it. I purchased the bed. And you know what? It's fantastic. I've been sleeping on it for a few weeks now and I have zero complaint. Sleeping in the middle of a big bed has to be one of the best feelings after a long day. "If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up." And just in case you're wondering, this bed is no longer pushed up against the wall...it's taken its originally-planned position of the center of my bedroom. Which was a feat...keep reading.



Moving the piano out of my bedroom into Natalie's old bedroom was hilarious...not to mention, strenuous. And tenacious. Any other 'ous' adjectives I can use? Didn't think so...back to the piano-moving. We had to empty the laundry room closet of the washer and dryer so we could get a good enough angle to maneuver the piano from the hall into the room. If you've ever been to my house, you can understand this picture. My friends who came and helped, Billy and Broderick, got as far as getting it poised at the doorway to the room. This is where the struggle really began...the doorway wasn't wide enough to fit the girth of my huge upright grand piano. I mean, it was wide enough, but definitely not at this angle. A few solutions were tossed about...how about we try tilting it? Nope, then it would be too wide in a different spot. Pushing really hard? Hmmm...worked with the couch on While You Were Sleeping, but you saw what ended up happening to the carpet. Meanwhile, people are climbing all over that piano, trying to see the different angles and figure out how it'll go into that room. Because it's not coming back to my room! And then, I don't remember who said it, but...How about prying off the door casing? GENIUS. So we did it. Billy ran and grabbed the pry bar (we can thank my father for recommending I pick up one of those when we put in the tile last summer) and they got to prying that casing off. All I could keep thinking is, "I'm glad I have all of these paint colors to make it look good again..." But I understood that this is what it would take. Now three weeks later, I still haven't done a thing about putting it back up...does anyone out there just love doing construction on doorways? In the long run though, the bed is worth it. Don't believe me? Come try this sucker out.


3 Comments:

Blogger Shawn and Brittany said...

Congrats on the new bed and welcome back to the posting world! Missed you at club the other night...we still need to stamp though!

January 25, 2008 at 8:27 AM

 
Blogger Adrianne Miller said...

I can't believe you just invited everyone into your bed.

January 25, 2008 at 3:19 PM

 
Blogger Devony said...

The bed is very beautiful looking! Great story too! Um, please post a pic of your upright grand piano. Another friend of mine was telling me about hers and I'm seriously having difficulty visualizing it!

February 10, 2008 at 1:22 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home