Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Addiction

Me: Hi, my name is Annie, and I'm a wordaholic.
Group: Hi, Annie!

Yes, I admit it; I have an addiction to the Facebook game Word Challenge. It started harmlessly...a few times I'd play just to not be bored. I saw Rachel and Lacy playing it, and I thought it looked like some good clean fun. So, having a knack for words, I took to it like a fish to water.

The basis of the game is this: you get six letters to start with. Your goal is to make as many words as you can with these letters. For words you create that are longer than four letters, you get extra time on the clock. If you figure out the word(s) that incorporate ALL the letters, you can click through to a "bonus round" where you have to unscramble a friend's name for additional points.



Oh, it was fun. The first few times. And then this inner demon emerged and reared its ugly head. "I MUST WIN!" I would tell myself. I know I'm competitive, but I didn't think it was this bad. Facebook pits you against your friends. They also have different "professions" you achieve with each higher score you get, and I didn't want to be something stupid. Cruel, cruel game.

You know an addiction is getting bad when you go to bed, but your head is still swimming with words that you could make. "Dust...rust...dusty...rusty....oh...time's running out! Umm...wait a minute...STURDY! Got it! Bonus round...who's name could this be...?"

Last night, I hit a personal low/high. I had a whole list of things to get done (laundry, cleaning my bathroom...you know, stuff that doesn't really matter...), and instead of doing these things, I played Word Challenge. Never you mind that I was already lots of points higher than any of my friends who also play (friends who escaped the jaws of this satanic game early on...), I had a goal to get over 50,000 points. I'd hit 46,000 or so a few days ago, so I knew it was just a matter of time. Plus, after awhile, you start to recognize some of the 6-letter combinations, so they become a snap. Well, I played...and I played...and Rachel cooked dinner...and I played...and lo and behold, after HOURS (and a break to go have a real life for a bit), I achieved over 60,000 points! The "profession" I achieved? Anagram Cyborg. Now if I could just use this power for good... (this is embarrassing...)

So that's it. I'm calling it good. The towel has been metaphorically thrown in. I actually had a week or so awhile ago where I didn't play, so I know my brain will go back to normal if I just keep away from the evil Word Challenge. My brain and my wrists need a break... If you see me playing, I give you permission to close my laptop or slap my fingers. I have things to do and places to be. Yes sirree, it's quittin' cold turkey for me!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wa ha ha! This means I can play until I beat you!!! Wait...when does this addiction group meet?

January 20, 2009 at 7:28 PM

 
Blogger Lindsay said...

Tripod!
I can't play this game, I don't want to be an addict ;)

January 20, 2009 at 7:38 PM

 
Blogger Devony said...

I do this too and it cracks me up when I go to sleep and I'm playing it in my head! I do the same thing with any and all games like this I play (including Sudoku)! I get obsessive as well.

January 20, 2009 at 10:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home