Monday, April 23, 2012

The way things were...

Lately I've been thinking about weird things I did as a kid (and even some as a full-on grown-up). Now, if I saw a kid doing some of these things, I'd call them weird. Guess I've always known I'm an odd person....I'll let you be the judge now, I guess.

1) Cutting out letters from magazines so I could make signs or write things with them. Yes, because at 10 years old, I decided it was cool to act like I was asking for ransom. Don't worry, I took it a step further and even created a little alphabetical organizing system so I could cut to my heart's content and then save them for a rainy day. My mom's poor BH&G magazines were basically shredded.

2) Counting "perdittles" on the freeway at night and having a goal to meet in any given car trip. If I met said goal in my head, then surely whatever wish I had at the time (usually that the boy I had a crush on would like me back), I would have granted. If I'm being completely honest, I did this up to the age of about 23. Um...yeah.....

3) Eating strange food items in nature. On the way home from the bus stop, my friend and I would see these purple flowers that we would pick off the stems and then suck out the "juice." My friend always told me they were safe...and I guess I'm not dead, so that's nice. I remembered this one the other day when I was walking home from church and saw the same type of flowers. I refrained from eating them. Also on the list of weird things we ate as kids: "cheezy weeds," some sort of green weed that had a little middle that tasted like a green bean; and wild raspberries we found down by the creek. And yet I still haven't ever eaten a brussel sprout.

4) Dreaming up the idea of starting a business where I squished bread into little balls and other various shapes...and then SOLD IT. WTF?? Yeah, it was a foolproof plan with very little overhead cost (because my parents bought the bread, meaning it was free, right?) and driven by a lot of ambition. And really, who wouldn't want to eat a smooshed up piece of bread that had been rolled in the hands of a small child?

I'm positive there are more things like this that I've done. When I remember them, I'll post part two of this lovely confession...

2 Comments:

Blogger Lindsay said...

I remember those cheezy weed things. I never ate them but I had friends who did. I did eat brussel sprouts yesterday for the first time. They are disgusting. You are not missing out, my friend.

April 23, 2012 at 8:26 PM

 
Blogger George family said...

I think #4 has just gotten a little more sugar added to the party, and now it is called cake balls!

Oh, and brussel sprouts ARE gross!!!! Mom was right about that for sure!!!

April 25, 2012 at 8:29 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home