Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Sisters (Fair warning: cheesy post!)

Last week, a few of my friends posted links to this blog post on Facebook and their blogs. (Just in case you didn't click on that link, the post is about sisters growing up and becoming friends, even though they experienced the pains of childhood and being teenagers together.) I could completely relate to sharing rooms, sharing secrets, and sharing pain and tears. I emailed the link to my five sisters with the subject line, "I cried reading this..." I got a couple responses back, agreeing that the article made them cry or made them homesick.

My sisters are awesome. Yeah, we've definitely had our scrapes, but ultimately, I know that we are always there for each other. Yesterday, my sister texted me this: "I miss you. :(" Less than two hours later, I was at her house (and using her for her washer and dryer). We just chatted for a bit, and I was sent home with some chocolate and some pie. Seriously, that's usually how it goes when spending time with any of them...you go there hoping to have something to offer--time, a shoulder for crying, whatever--and you end up feeling like you're the one who got the better end of the deal.




It's not all sunshine and flowers, though. Sometimes a sister is the only one who can tell you how it really is. There has been more than one occasion when someone calls me on crap. Or sometimes we get really angry about ridiculous things, and someone ends up excusing themselves to go cry or be mad. You can bet, though, that someone is usually close on her heels as a sounding board.

My sisters do things like painting each other's toenails or dyeing one another's hair. Like visiting one another in the hospital or going to each other's concerts. Like forcing you to go to the all-you-can-eat ice cream and the demolition derby at the state fair the day after you have your heart broken, just so you'll get out of the house. Like taking you to Egypt. Like changing your oil, even though it's a huge pain to get to the oil filter. Like painting your new condo for days upon days. Like pulling pig nose faces at passing cars on the freeway.

Thinking about my sisters also made me remember this song from White Christmas. Enjoy.

2 Comments:

Blogger Adrianne Miller said...

Sometimes I sing that song!

I have no sisters but I have plenty of sister in laws and that will just have to do!

February 23, 2010 at 1:53 PM

 
Blogger Me said...

Awww another sister post... except you have LOADS of them! It sounds fun. I wonder what that would have been like. Isn't it weird how your siblings shape your life, I mean, how would my life be different if I had 4 sisters and 1 brother? Or only 1 other sibling or something. I mean it's weird the choices I make regarding kids and when to have them and what they are are determining sort of what kind of childhood my kids have. I can only hope they don't grow up hating each other yaknow? ALL right anyway cute post.

February 23, 2010 at 1:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home