Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Tag (and not the gift type...)

Bree tagged me!

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?
Whatever I can find in the drawer of wrapping supplies...I don't have a preference. But I can wrap a gift with the best of them!
2. Real tree or Artificial?
Which do I prefer or which do I have? I prefer real...currently in my living room is a tiny little artificial thing that I bought while I was in college. Seriously, it's two feet tall. Every year I tell myself I'll think about a real tree or at least upgrading to a bigger artificial one. And each year, I push it to the bottom of my to do list. Ho hum...maybe next year. ;)
3. When do you put up the tree?
Usually the weekend after Thanksgiving. Depends on when I get my lazy butt around to doing it. The last couple years, Rachel has taken the reigns and gotten the decorations out.
4. When do you take the tree down?
See above...whenever I get around to doing it in early January. Or Rachel will get sick of people mocking our everlasting Christmas spirit (right....try everlasting apathy!) and she'll take it down.
5. Do you like eggnog?
Gross.
6. Favorite gift received as a child?
One year I was so jealous of my cousins who had rollerblades. I got some that year for Christmas, and we went down to our unfinished basement and skated around for the better part of the following months. I don't know if that's my favorite, but I sure loved those things. And where's the cutoff for being a "child"? Because one of my favorite gifts in recent years was my sewing machine. Santa was pretty smart...IS pretty smart. (Gotta be careful this time of year!)
7. Hardest person to buy for?
My dad. He says he has one of everything and two of most...sometimes people think he's joking, but he isn't. If he needs something, he's resourceful and he goes and buys it. Leaves the rest of us out in the cold when it comes to gift giving. Although the last couple years, I've been following in his footsteps, and I fear I've become just as difficult to shop for...I try to stop buying stuff about a month before Christmas, though!
8. Easiest person to buy for?
I always stress way too much about gift giving, so this is a difficult question...I'd have to go with...myself? Ok, that's a cop-out. Um...usually the people I actually live with because I can see their daily needs and wants.
9. Do you have a nativity scene?
Yep! It's a wooden one my mom painted. Currently it's out on the coffee table, and people are afraid to move it. It's funny, though, because she made it so one day when I have children, they'll be able to play with it. The set is kind of like building blocks and is meant to be touched.
10. Mail or email Christmas cards?
What are these "Christmas cards" you speak of...?
11. Funniest Christmas gift you ever received?
Is it horrible that I can't think of one? And I'm sure some of you out there are thinking, "I gave her a REALLY funny gift that one time! I can't believe she doesn't remember it..." There, there...I'm running on only a few hours of sleep at the moment, so please forgive me.
12. Favorite Christmas Movie?
There are so many good ones! So many cheesy ones! Ones the make me cry because I'm happy! But I'd have to go with either A Christmas Story or Elf as my favorite.
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?
I'm a spaz...I used to wait until I was done with school and then just get it all done in a day (usually a day pretty close to Christmas)...but recently I've taken to shopping online starting in early November.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?
Oh absolutely. And I found out that my grandma recycles hers as well...a few years ago, I got her a firefighters calendar to hang in her bedroom (she's a widow), and she kept up with it diligently all year. Then she gave it (yes, the out-of-date calendar!) as a gag gift to one of her other friends and apparently it kept getting passed around the older people circles in her neighborhood!
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
I don't know why, but cheeseballs always remind me of Christmas, so that's what I love to eat at Christmas. I guess I could eat them all year round, though? I also love chocolate-covered pretzels.
16. Lights on the tree?
Sure!
17. Favorite Christmas song?
Once again...WAY too many to choose from. I'm going to have to go with O Holy Night. I also love the Mannheim Steamroller version of Silent Night. Listening to it right now, actually...
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home?
Does traveling an hour up to my parents' count as actual travel?
19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeers?
Wait...isn't the plural actually 'reindeer' not 'deers'? And yes, I can name them all.
20. Angel on the tree top or a star?
I don't even know what's on top of my tree at the moment because I think the star I had on there broke last year. Hmmm...nothing? I do prefer the star to the angel tree topper.
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning?
We get to open pajama pants from our parents on Christmas Eve and then the rest on Christmas morning. I think someone in my family always has a heart attack whilst waiting to go see what Santa brought, though. Yep, even as adults we fight over who gets to go down first...it has gotten better, though, as we've realized that five extra seconds of seeing your presents isn't really worth the hassle. I'd just as soon go down last every year...then you don't have the pushing behind you and the hushed whispers of "Hurry up!" (Yes, I was the kid who fought vehemently to go first...good thing we have the chance to grow up and realize our childish errors in judgment...)
22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year?
Traffic/crowds. And yes, Lisa...definitely snow! I hate having to plan my schedule around whether or not I'll be able to make it through the snow in my little Honda Civic.
23. Favorite ornament theme or color?
This is such a random question...I don't really have a favorite, but if I had to choose, it'd be silver and red. Not a typical combo, but I enjoy it.
24. Favorite for Christmas dinner?
Ham and au gratin potatoes. Maybe I'm a grinch, but can't I eat these things year round? I mean, what's holding me back here?
25. What do you want for Christmas this year? I honestly don't want anything...but since my family makes me make a list, I'd have to say tall, black boots. If they're not by my stocking tomorrow morning, I think I might need a shopping buddy to help me find some...

And if you'd like to do this in the short time before the season ends, feel free! Tag, you're it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bree said...

I've given up on tall black boots. I ordered some Mudd "Spicy" boots from Famous Footwear online only to find out my calves are too fat.

December 24, 2008 at 11:15 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home