Friday, September 18, 2009

All grown up and savin' China...

I've thought a lot about who I used to be, how far I've come, what I've learned, yadda yadda, bladdy blah... and you know what I decided? Live it up now. I've got to love the moments I've got and not pine for the past or worry for the future.

I even think about how my life has roller coastered up and down, lots of people in and out, even just in my early and mid-twenties. Most of these people have graduated to different phases of their lives...getting degrees, finding true love, having children, some of them becoming actual responsible adults... I can't just call these people up for a random road trip or even dinner. But in my life, at current, I do have people like that (thank goodness!). I believe the older we get and the more connections we make, the more difficult it becomes to truly devote yourself to certain individuals. This isn't bad, necessarily...I've just discovered that life often tugs us all in different directions.

One of my former bishops is just returning from a mission with his wife, and I've been invited to listen to them speak--so have all of the people from that old ward...and it gets the gears jamming in my brain, thinking, "Whoa, it's been awhile since I've seen these people!" I'm guessing it's what it's like to get notification that your high school reunion is coming up. Some of the people you love, but some of them you would be ok to never see or speak to again. The best part about these shindigs? (And this is the TRULY horrible side of me...) Realizing that I have improved vastly from my days of yore. Not many things top being able to be flaunt your newly-found confidence. Yeah, I don't have kids or a husband, but...well, let's just let Kathleen Madigan express my thoughts:

Best line: "But as single people, what are we supposed to send out? Picture of me, sleeping late with extra money?"

Lest this blog post sound like a break-up directed to or a diatribe about my friends who really have gone down different paths than the one I'm on, it's not! Isn't that the beauty of getting to decide? At the risk of sounding like a user, I'm glad that each of you is/was there when I need/needed you most, in whatever unique capicity. And who knows...maybe I could be convinced to become responsible one day. ;) I do want to send out a Christmas letter solely about me, though....

3 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

September 19, 2009 at 10:08 AM

 
Blogger Me said...

I've thought about that recently, too, how some people I was closest to I never talk to or see anymore. And while it makes me sad everyone moves on with their lives, I just thought, well, they were important for that time in my life. Even so, random dinner sounds good to me anytime you want! Road trips too. I just lock the kids in the basement room and throw in some bread. ;)

September 19, 2009 at 5:38 PM

 
Blogger Lindsay said...

I've been sending out Christmas letters about myself ever since I've gotten home from my mission. Sure, it's only two so far but I figure I'm developing a habit of it. I'd like a letter when the time comes of the Annie adventures!

September 19, 2009 at 8:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home