Monday, June 30, 2008

Quilts galore

Yesterday as I was working on a baby quilt to give to my sister, I was thinking about the number of quilts I've made in the past year. I wish I had pictures to post of all of them. Well, you can at least look at this one here, a newly finished baby quilt top...





And in my previous post, there's the flag quilt. Let's just say that this is probably another one of my unhealthy obsessions--quilting. But in my defense, most of the quilts I make, I give away as gifts. The biggest problem I have is that I either get into too many projects at once or that I just purchase so much fabric because it's so cute. Those marketers and store owners sure know how to get women like me sucked in!

Also, just in the past year, I've learned how to machine quilt on my mom's big set of frames. It's kind of fun! Remember all that doodling you did during your junior high years? It comes in handy when you've got a sewing machine and you're trying to freehand patterns in thread. Sometimes it's a tedious process, but it's really neat to get the quilt off the frames and see the whole thing.

One of the things I love about this hobby is that it's so creative. Really, the possibilities are endless and so much fun. I have a quilt group I go to once a month (yes, I'm a grandma...), and looking at all the fun show-and-tell that the other ladies bring, it inspires me to figure out new things.

Another thing that makes quilting worthwhile is that it gives me a chance to think while I sew. I can ponder the mysteries of life...or at least the mysteries of my life. :) And if I'm making the quilt for someone, I get to think about them.

2 Comments:

Blogger TomKat said...

That quilt is so cute! Wow, can you teach me your skills?

July 3, 2008 at 11:17 AM

 
Blogger Bree said...

It's ok Annie (and Lisa who also quilts). I have recently taken up gardening and I am always rememinded of my Idaho Babooska.

July 9, 2008 at 3:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home